Sunday, February 08, 2015

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I can't remember where it came from, but for a little while now I've been feeling like rewatching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's one of those films that affected me in a big way on the first go around and has assumed an even greater significance since, and coming back to it the other night (Thursday) I felt a sense of anticipation that no doubt conditioned my response to it as much as the emotional resonance that it's come to carry (the two of course being related).

On this repeat watching, knowing where it was heading took away some of the charge of that first viewing, as did that anticipation of the effect that it might have. But there was a freshness and an affecting quality to it that has endured - I didn't feel it so intensely this time, whether because of second viewing or time of life or both...but there's still something there.

Also, the pre-film trailers on the blu-ray: Control, Lost in Translation, Amelie. Not too shabby.