Monday, February 02, 2015

Borgen seasons 2 & 3

Also likeable about Borgen is that, for all the focus on the machinations and not infrequent skulduggery, it allows the politicians to be smart and articulate - both the relatively principled ones and those who are less so. I must say that I like the permanent secretary type figure, too (Niels Erik) - formidable and inscrutable but seemingly also motivated by a strong impulse towards public service, including when his views of what this means don't line up with those of the current administration. And Katrine also becomes a more substantial figure over these seasons. I was just thinking about what it is that makes me particularly like Borgen and actually I'm not sure exactly where the appeal lies - somewhere in the combination of the political and social depiction and the story-telling, I think.

(season 1)