Sunday, May 26, 2013

The National - Trouble Will Find Me

It's frightening how fast time goes by; it sure doesn't feel like three years ago that I was coming to High Violet, already drunk on the greatness of Boxer and Alligator.

So the thing with Trouble Will Find Me is that it's good - I like it. In a time when rock music is probably less immediately important to me than at any point in the last 15 or so years (ie the whole of my adult life and then some),* listening to it is nonetheless like pulling on a warm winter coat and going for a leisurely walk in the crisp, lovely cold. Several of its songs - "I Should Live in Salt", "Sea of Love", "Graceless", "I Need My Girl", "Pink Rabbits" - are excellent, and all are good. It's graceful, velvety, elegiac, just like those other ones. But, for one reason or another, it hasn't gotten under my skin in the same way as the last three - this one's nice, not life-changing.

(also, Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers, and live, twice)

---

* I say 'immediately' important because of course the years of being immersed in it have marked me deep, even if I don't spend much time day to day listening to the stuff nowadays.