Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Krystle Warren & the Faculty - Love Songs: A Time You May Embrace

Hearing Love Songs in Basement Discs the other day made twice that Krystle Warren's remarkable, deep, rich voice had made me sit up and take notice; when I saw that it was her, and remembered how good she was in "Way to Blue" (that having been the first time), I figured that was enough that I should buy the cd.

So - it's a good one, Warren weaving jazzy, soulful sounds in with some folk and even lightly country touches; at times it makes me think of Nina Simone, at others (particularly at her most expansive) of Antony Hegarty. Best are two gorgeous, swooning ballads near the beginning, "Forever is a Long Time" and "Every Morning", and the bare bones, voice + guitar "Love You" that closes the affair; the whole thing is thoroughly, unabashedly romantic.