Friday, April 02, 2010

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

I must admit that I was a Fleet Foxes sceptic. Everyone told me they were great, the reviews were uniformly good to excellent, and what I heard about them made me think it could be the sort of stuff that I could get into - but I just wasn't excited about listening to them...the way their music was described, it sounded as if I'd heard it all before (the vibe I got was basically of a folkier, more harmonies-focused version of My Morning Jacket or Band of Horses). Anyway, I finally got around to listening to the album, and while it is pretty much exactly what I'd expected, it's also actually very good. I mean, I have heard this stuff before, but on Fleet Foxes, it's all packaged up so nicely and with such skill that I'm very glad to have made the record's acquaintance anyway.