Sunday, November 01, 2009

"Apocalypse Bear Trilogy"

I saw this play described as suburban surrealism somewhere, and that's not a bad description, although it's possibly more programmatic than that description would suggest. Its deadpan weirdness is perhaps slightly overdone, and likewise its signposting of the (admittedly vague) Significance of the woods. At its heart are two imperfect, somewhat damaged figures and the apocalypse bear itself, and a set of symbolic encounters (real, imagine, external, internal) playing out themes of (among others - it was a couple of weeks ago now that I saw it) choice, loss, repetition and the mundane. The first Lally Katz that I've caught, and I saw hints of why she's so widely spoken about (and, in many circles, highly regarded), but I think that I'll reserve judgement for the time being...

(w/ Julian F)