Saturday, July 04, 2009

Luluc @ Northcote Social Club, Thursday 2 July

A duo, their style old-timey sounding folk-esque music. The songs were pretty good but their not so secret weapon is singer Zoe Randell's wonderful voice, smooth and low and used to great effect. I think it was a relatively short set, but it was long enough for their sound to become clear, and for them to demonstrate a good amount of melodic and textural range. Definitely worth keeping an eye out for!

Incidentally, looking at their website a minute ago, I noticed that they were booked to support Lucinda Williams at her show earlier this year, which means I must have seen them then. (All I remember from their set there, assuming it was them, is that they were good, but I was very tired and basically half asleep for its duration...no reflection on the music itself.)

(Support for this show was 'Jessica Says', who I'm quite sure I met around the traps a few years back.)

(w/ Ruth and Wei)