Saturday, November 17, 2007

Princess Mononoke

Many of the sequences in Princess Mononoke, and particularly some of those painting the landscapes through which Ashitaka travels between his home town and the land of the Iron town and the forest, made me wish that I lived someplace where there's more space - not just physical but also, I suppose, metaphysical (in this instance, the two are related)...someplace where people can properly be, heroic or villainous or some combination of the two, in a way far larger than that allowed by my own current circumstances...another sense in which it's a fantasy, I suppose. That aside, this is a pretty sweet film (ie, I liked it) - it's technically very impressive, which translates into a seamlessly immersive viewing experience, and has a nice blend of lightness and weight...