Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Drones - Wait Long By The River And The Bodies Of Your Enemies Will Float By

One from Jon, who went so far as to describe this band's music as transcendent one Friday afternoon. Now, transcendence is always contingent and particular (or have I precisely missed the point?), but having listened to this album pretty solidly over the last few days, I think I can see his point, at least out of the corner of my eye...because although it initially feels like just another rock album (albeit one tied together by some extremely solid songs and tight playing), there's more to Wait Long... than meets the eye - I can't put it better than to say that the record has a sense of depth which sets it well apart from the run of the mill. ("Shark Fin Blues" is the one that I listen to over and over, but I get the feeling that it may be an entry point in more ways than one.) I was walking around listening to the album today, and it just felt right.