Saturday, March 24, 2007

Sarah Waters - Affinity

The only Sarah Waters books I've read, and now I've read it twice. I can't remember why I read it the first time - it may've been just one of those that one picks up in a library (probably Rowden White, oh I miss that library) on the strength of its cover and then takes home for the intriguing blurb, though possibly on the back of all the kerfuffle about the tv adaptation of Tipping The Velvet. Still, it was a great read then and I raced through it - atmosphere to burn and a ripping story, too. This time, I made myself go more slowly, but it was still all over in a couple of days. It's a honest to goodness Victorian ghost story, done with a modern sensibility which has nothing of the anachronistic to it (at least as these things are reckoned). Waving the flag for readable lit fic.