Sunday, December 24, 2006

Babel

This was an interesting film, but I don't think that it was really about anything. There are some clear threads running through it but, for me, they don't really come together into an entirely coherent whole. Still, 'coherent' is one thing but 'convincing' is another altogether, and Babel does convince - it's a bold, striking thing, with some really striking images and sequences, concepts to burn (another distinction: concepts yes, developed ideas maybe not so much), and characters to catch hold of. The most affecting storyline is that of Chieko, which took me longest to warm to (because it felt a bit exploitative...but I think the film earns its gestures), but all of it is involving. I found Babel sort of gruelling, but on balance I think it's an impressive bit of film-making, if not one that makes me feel I need to revisit it in a hurry.

(w/ Sid)