Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Pipettes - We Are The Pipettes

This is great!

Obviously I was going to like the concept of the Pipettes when I heard about them - three gals in polka-dot dresses doing classic girl group-styled pop, given a modern twist - but it took several songs before one really hit me between the eyes and inspired me to go looking for the album.[*] That one was "Your Kisses Are Wasted On Me" (a blast from start to finish, and every individual bit is great, but of course the best bit is the soaring-swooning "and you might cry..." part and the clatter of the drums underneath), and I'm still totally into it, but there's also so much else on We Are The Pipettes to savour - they dig deeply into the 60s girl group bag of tricks, but it's done so inventively and selectively, and, miraculously, without a hint of repetition or misplaced pastiche, and each of the album's 14 tracks is a gem. (Apart from "Your Kisses Are Wasted On Me", "Pull Shapes" and "Because It's Not Love (But It's Still A Feeling)" are especially fab.)

So anyway, We Are The Pipettes is possibly my favourite Pop record that I've ever heard.

* * *

[*] Which I've only managed to get my hands on by the expedient of buying it on vinyl, the cd being elusive in Melbourne stores.