Monday, January 16, 2006

Lisa Miller - Version Originale

This is originally what I was going to write about Version Originale:

Another Lisa Miller album in which the singing is, for the most part, better than the songs. "Little Stars" - one of the key songs of my 2005 - is on it, and there are a few other nice cuts, including several which do stick in the mind, but really most of the charm of this record lies in the richness, warmth and fullness of the music and of Miller's singing in particular.

But each time I listen to the album, the songs grow on me more and more - songs like "New Record", "Pushover", "Hold On", "I Want To Live"...there's a strange sort of magic between the lines of Version Originale, inhering in the songs themselves as much as in the music and singing...it all has a sort of glow, and damnit one day I really will see her play live.