Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads/Jonathan Demme)

David lent this to me without any particular provocation, and I sat down to watch it last night in the interests of procrastination (a recurring theme, though less so these last few days as I've been trying to make sense of the Seminar on 'The Purloined Letter' and so on). I've had a copy of the associated cd for a while, so I was already pretty well familiar with the music; the interest lay in seeing if it lived up to the hype (on the cover of the dvd: "The most extraordinary rock movie ever made" gasps Uncut; "The Citizen Kane of the concerts movies" burbles The Face). And, well, it's pretty cool, and it's fun to see a young, hyper-skinny (look who's talking) David Byrne strutting his stuff and especially with the whole band and associates getting into it - "Life During Wartime" is a particular highlight - and the music is fab of course and obviously the Heads were a great live band and I was feeling the joy and the craziness and I was hanging out for the "my god, what have I done?", but I don't know, maybe I was just taking it for granted that it'd be like that because somehow I only sort of enjoyed it as if from a distance (not so uncommon for me these days, that). Gotta watch this one again when the fires are burning a bit more brightly.