Friday, July 15, 2005

Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball

Relatively recent Emmylou - 1995 - and my first of hers (though I borrowed Pieces of the Sky at the same time), and, it has to be said, the music sounds the way I'd imagine 'cosmic American music' would sound (thank you, Gram). A key thing about this recording seems to be that it was produced by Daniel Lanois, who also wrote two of the songs (and co-wrote a third) - which may go some way to explaining why the Lanois-penned opener "Where Will I Be" is so reminiscent of U2 circa Achtung Baby - and he brings a clean, subdued air to proceedings, over which Harris's voice drifts and glitters.

When I got this cd, the first cuts I wanted to hear were the Lucinda and Gillian songs ("Sweet Old World" and "Orphan Girl" respectively), and after initial consternation I've grown to like Harris's interpretations (particularly of "Orphan Girl"). She also does songs by Dylan and Young which I didn't know (the Young composition, "Wrecking Ball", giving this album its title), plus Steve Earle ("Goodbye" - one of the album's best moments), Julie Miller, Hendrix, Anna McGarrigle ("Goin' Back To Harlan", another highlight) and two which she had co-written with others.

Listening to this record and Pieces of the Sky, I was initially a sceptic, but both have won me over in the last week or so. Harris can certainly sing, and judging by the ones whose originals I'm familiar with, she has a knack for bringing her own voice (literally and otherwise) to the songs she chooses. I said earlier that I thought this recording could well qualify as cosmic American music, and by that I meant that it has the sort of wispy widescreen country flavour, tinged with a discrete rock bent, that I've always associated with the phrase...I like it.